05 February 2009

*Scratch*Scratch* I've got to learn a new language



I'm not kidding.

Previously, I thought that my command of English is quite good. You see, I have been excelling in English language exams not only locally, but also in countries with a strong Anglo-Saxon heritage. Perhaps, one of my most noteworthy moments was when I was studying at the University in the US and I topped the Advanced English Literature class....well, ok, so there were only two students in the class and the other student did not get a grade because he was mostly absent from class and exams.

I jest.

But well, I believe I have a decent command of the English language...so I thought. It's really humbling (but very much needed) for a teacher to go blank in front of a class when the kids start talking in their own slang, but using it with a very different meaning. And so, with much humility, it would be wise to go 'Huh?' and ask for the meaning of the alien jargon.

Ever since I started teaching at the polytechnic, my whole notion of 'English' has been turned upside down. Words that I thought had only one meaning now have multiple meanings. Then again, there are totally new words that are being created on a daily basis. Let me indulge you with a few examples:


Noob - A newbie. Oops, sorry baby boomers. Newbie also means someone who is new.
ie. He's a noob, just arrived from overseas.


Emo - Short form for emotional but it is not defined as 'emotional'. It describes someone who is deep in thought in a pensive manner. Usually, this person is alone in a corner putting on some earphones playing on his computer or reading a book.
ie. John is emo-ing again, I wonder what is on his mind.


Random - A term used to describe someone who changes topic or the line of convesation abruptly.
ie. He's random again. First he talks about his school work, then now he complains about the bus service.


Eff - Substiute for the word renown expletive f**k. Can also be used to emphasize and exaggerate a point.
ie. You are an effing genius!



I think I need to go back to English classes real soon.

Let me go emo in the corner...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mind your language, mr brown! ;)
i think it's the students who need english classes...