04 February 2007

Work hard to get ahead in life...Truth or lie?

I know that is a hotly debated topic and a monkey that is constantly on the government's back. But the stark reality is true --- there is a substantial number of middle aged people in the work force who are out of jobs and the numbers are set to rise. I do not have the numbers to back me up but do bear with me as I take you through my thoughts.

Asian kids will hear this familiar refrain: Study hard and work hard to succeed in life. Truth or a lie?

Very recently, I had opportunity to assist at a recruitment agency and the number of resumes you receive from middle aged persons seeking employment is just overwhelming. Mind you, when I mean middle aged, I do not mean person in their 50s. What I deem as 'middle aged' are those 38 years old and above.

I am not the least bit joking.

Take for instance an ad for a managerial post in Marketing in the FMCG (Fast moving consumer goods) industry was seeking an individual with 8 years of relevant work experience. As I sifted through the resumes, my colleague helped me by 'shortlisting' them.

Too old (candidate was 38 years old??!!!); Non relevant experience (candidate had extensive marketing experience in food products and dried milk powder and the job post was for fresh dairy products. Am I missing out something here?); too highly qualified (candidate had a Masters in Marketing).

At the end of the exercise, I shortlisted 2 probable candidates but my colleague decided against them. Why? For the very reasons I have stated above.

And so, when seeking a middle to senior managerial position locally, you must not be too old (35 years and below) but have enough RELEVANT experience and cannot be too highly educated.

As I looked through some of the resumes sent in, I could not help but sympathise with many. There were those in their 40s and were previously in Senior positions heading companies. Now, they are just satisfied with a middle management post. Some are even willing to take entry level positions.

I have the stories of 2 friends to share with you.

One is a father of 3 daughters with the eldest in her 1st year at university and the youngest is 16 years old. A couple of years back, he was CEO of an IT company and had enough money to live in a landed property at a prime location. Then he was retrenched and has never found another job since. He is in his late 40s to early 50s.

Another friend is 40 this year and is a Country manager for a foreign company. He fears that if he is made redundant, he will not be able to find another job again. He has no children but is married.

We have been told to work hard in order to get into premier schools and that would get us prestigious scholarships at premier universities that would lead us to a career with bright prospects.

The reality? Hit 35 years and above and I suggest you think of a backup plan when you are out of a job. Yes, not 'if' but 'when' you are out of a job.

The Straits Times recently did an article on this issue of middle age joblessness. Even top government scholars were not spared and these were considered Singapore's brightest who were trained at top universities worldwide. Come 35 to 45 years of age and you will have to make way for the just-as-bright scholar but is 30 years of age to replace you.

I am not discounting the virtue of hard work. I am all for hard work and I am a hard worker myself. My point is: Will pure hard work get you to your goal? Will it assure you of your job in your mid 30s, 40s and 50s?

I would like to hear your thoughts.



2 comments:

dillydally said...

i do agree with you that being hardworking is overrated - although i'm definitely not an advocate of idleness either. truth is to survive in the modern world we need to work SMART and invest SMART. being hardworking is no longer the (only) thoroughfare leading to a comfortable (not to talk about successful) life.

littlewen said...

You sure make me seriously consider going into animation and the arts...