03 January 2007

Where there is no vision, the people perish...

The Associated Press released an article today, saying that a recent study conducted by the business school at Florida State University, found that 40 % of managers and supervisors do not keep promises. More than 25% of them also bad-mouth about their subordinates to their co-workers.

Tell me something I don't already know.

In fact, I dare say that these statistics fall short of the actual figure of bad bosses out there.

I have this theory: In the whole realm of the labour force, I propose that less than 10% of people out there are capable and responsible to a decent extent. However, will this 10% of quality people end up being your boss? Highly unlikely. And so, when you get a new boss or get into a new job, 9 out of 10 chances, you will have to expect your boss to be an idiot; backstabber; incompetent; coward; visionless....you get the drift.

These are sobering odds.

And so, for those of you who still think that hard work will get you ahead, I'm afraid that according to the statistics, you are more likely to get ahead if you know how to work your boss.

Manipulative? Some detractors might say.

Sorry pal. No one said that life was fair.

I just returned from a short retreat in Johor, Malaysia, where the leadership of the church gathered to map out the plans for the year ahead. I am extremely thankful that our church leadership has great foresight and vision. They are not afraid to be corrected when wrong and are willing to make tough decisions when needed. Real men, truly. Unlike most of the men that I know, but that's another story.

True leadership is not about ordering people around to boost your ego. It is so much more than that. I could go on stating examples of good and bad leadership, but I think you know what I am saying.

And so, if you have a good boss at work today, be thankful for what you have. However, if you have a crappy boss at work, just know that you are in the majority. Put up with the crap or just find a less crappy one to work for.

At the end of the day, everyone's crap.

No comments: