17 December 2006

SuperMum! Thank God for them!

2 days ago, I made a trip to the eastern part of Singapore to check out the latest mega store that opened.

This particular Swedish store claimed to be bigger than its sister branch by about 2 times (this needs to be verified). And since I needed to get a new chest of drawers for the in-laws flying into town, why not check it out?

Personally, I had a baaad experience at the store. Why?

The presumably newly hired staff were not interested in doing their job. One ran away after directing me to some trolleys that were not accessible behind an enclosure.

Strange.

At the check out counter, when I requested for assistance for a particular product, the cashier replied she did not know of this product. Eying the store's internal telephone behind her, I prodded her to try using it. Her reply?

"Oh, sorry sir, I am afraid I do not have the number to contact the person in charge of umbrella racks. I only have a list that states 'Kitchen'; 'Bedrooms'; 'Living Room'; 'Accessories'......

Patience....patience....

Suddenly, she remarks, " Oh sir, I think I see someone who can help you. You see that gentleman there? Yah, just walk over there and ask him. I will wait right here for you to come back. You see, I cannot leave my counter."

How odd. There were 2 of them at the counter. I hinted this glaring fact at them.

"Sorry sir, BOTH of us cannot leave the counter. You have to walk back there and ask him yourself."

Oh well, forget it, since they do not want my business.

What happened eventually was that she finally realised what she was suggesting was a little inappropriate (like making me her assistant!) and ran over to ask him about my request.

In addition to the bad service; poor car park and road signage; and horrible food (I ate from the halal muslim food queue as it was way shorter), I just thought that it was overall just an unpleasant experience.

I carried my tray of food to find a place to sit. The only available seating was a bartop style area that looked into a play pen full of kids and toys (kudos to the company on this nifty idea where parents can eat while they watch on their kids play). Well, I guess I could settle for that.

This was when I realised that the food just tasted horrible. But well, I was hungry and the money has already been paid. Just eat lah!

As I was into my third mouthful, I saw a little altercation take place in the play pen. 5 year old girl is playing with steering wheel. 5 year old boy wants to play. Girl does not give in. A little tug and pull results. Mother of girl notices commotion and walks over to settle the situation.

But the girl does not give up.

All of us sitting around the playpen were now spectators to a potentially volatile situation. Think Israel vs Palestinians......North vs South Korea.......China vs Taiwan.

Would the USA be able to talk China out of bullying Taiwan? Would USA physically remove Israel from the Palestinian territories? Would the USA impose sanctions on North Korea?

First attempt: Dialogue

"Girl, you know that you are in a public place. This steering wheel does not belong to you. It is to be shared. Can you please let the boy share?"

"No!"

Second attempt: Expose the error

"Girl, what you are doing is selfish behaviour. This is not yours. You have to take turns and share. You have had your turn. Now, please let boy play."

"NOOooooo!"

Third attempt: Threaten sanctions

"Girl, if you do not want to share, then I cannot have you play here. If you do not let boy play, I will take you home with me now and you will not be able to play at all."

Girl screams. Stands her ground.

Fourth attempt: Final warning

"Girl, you listen to me right now. Don't let me carry you out of the play pen. Leave the play pen NOW!"

Girl gets the hint and reluctantly takes Mum's hand and walks out of the pen.

Jubilant boy takes over the steering wheel and starts playing with it. Rotates the wheel less than 10 times, and then gets tired with it and moves on to other stuff. As with all forbidden fruit, it only tasted that good until you obtain it.

I truly applaud this Mum's approach. Throughout her approach, she was calm but firm, not hysterical. Much has been debated over the way to raise kids. Asian parents tend to beat their kids into submission at the first instance of rebellion or disobedience. May not be the wisest of ways. Some will just threaten to punish their children and not follow through with their threats. Then there are parents will beat and scream at their children in public at the malls; train stations; and such, to compensate for their inability to rein in their kids.

You do sometimes wonder ---- who is more in need of the punishment.....

I need to go to bed.

*Yawn*




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try the SOFT ICE CREAM at the cafeteria outside the cashier there...it's quite nice. But it's for yuppies (like me).

They got free flow of drinks available too.
*Free flow, because their staff don't care, so everybody is busy going to and fro the dispenser...haha...